From 1986-1991 American Gold Eagle coins were minted with Roman numerals for dates. Starting in 1992, the US Mint switch to using Arabic numbers for Gold Eagle dates.
The fractional gold denominations of the American Gold Eagle coins are identical in design to the 1 troy oz coin except for the marking on the coin's reverse that indicate weight and face value.
American Gold Eagle coins are legal tender in the United States at their face values. The face values of the coins do not reflect the intrinsic value of the gold from which they are minted.
In 2021, to commemorate the 35th anniversary of the coin series' release, the US Mint released the first design changes to the coin series since its origination.
The design changes were released part way through the mintage year due to the supply of raw materials needed for production due to the lockdowns created as a result of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
The nomenclature used to describe the two different 2021 American Gold Eagle coins are noted with a Type 1 or Type 2 designation.The Type 1 designation is used to identify American Eagle Gold coins that were minted with the original reverse design. The Type 2 designation is used to identify American Eagle Gold coins that were minted with the new reverse design.
The table below shows the mintages by denomination of American Gold Eagle Coins.
A complete mintage history of the American Eagle coin series, including proofs and other special coins belonging to the series, is available in our blog post about American Gold Eagle Coin Mintages
|Year||1 oz||1/2 oz||1/4 oz||1/10 oz|
Each of the currency denominations of the American Eagle Gold coin series are composed of 22 karat gold. This mixing of the gold into alloy with silver and copper, provides strength and rigidness to the coin that allows it to hold up to the durability needed for circulating currency.
The ratio of gold to other metals is measured as 91.67% gold. The remaining 8.33% is composed of 3% silver and 5.33% copper.
The copper in the alloy gives coins in the American Eagle Gold coin series additional strength and gives the coins an orange hue that causes them to stand out when compared to 24k gold coins.
American Eagle Gold coins are available in each mintage year in one of four size designations.
Each weight designation also has a corresponding face value in US Dollars.
The weight and composition of each American Gold Eagle coin are guaranteed and backed by the United States Government because of its designation as legal tender.
The 1 oz American Eagle Gold Coin is the largest and heaviest coin in the series. This coin is one of the most popular and widely recognized gold bullion coins in the world.
The 1/2 oz American Eagle Gold Coin is popular because the cost is affordable for many investors. The 1/2 oz AGE is a popular designation.
The 1/4 oz American Eagle Gold Coin is also popular with investors due to its price point, but fewer are sold than most other variations in the series. At times, the relative rarity of quarter ounce gold eagle coins may lead to higher premiums in both the primary and secondary precious metals markets.
The American Eagle 1/10 oz gold coin is the smallest coin and most popular designation in the series. It is a fractional gold coin that is minted annually. Millions of 1/10 oz Gold Eagles are sold annually.
The price of an investment is one of the most important factors investors consider when shopping for American Gold Eagles. Comparing the price across multiple online bullion dealers can help with the decision making when you're ready to buy.
FindBullionPrices.com searches more than 50 trusted and reputable bullion dealers to find the lowest prices for American Gold Eagles. The prices on our site are updated hourly and adjusted for gold spot price. This gives you the tools to compare gold dealers to find the best deals.
You can find a large variety of gold coins at FindBullionPrices.com. If we don't list prices for something you're looking for Contact Us and let us know so we can add it.
We compare prices of American Gold Eagles from top-reviewed bullion dealers. Our product listings compare online prices to help you buy the cheapest American Gold Eagles.